Welcome to Downtown Fort Walton Beach

This blog is no longer active!

Check out the latest at :

www.downtownfwb.com

https://www.facebook.com/DowntownFWB

Monday, March 7, 2011

Rube

Local hero James Rube Garrett II passed away March 6, 2011

Read his WWII experience.



A Marine Diary: My Experiences on Guadalcanal 
by
J. R. Garrett

My name is James R. "Rube" Garrett... I was a Corporal, Ammo Chief for I Battery, 3rd Battalion, 11th Regiment and a charter member of the 1st Marine Division, formed in Cuba in 1940. The following are my diary entries for the Battle of Guadalcanal. What is there are the impressions of a young 20 year old Marine just as they were written 53 years ago. They detail the war in the Solomons as I lived it...one day at a time.

Excerpt from A Marine Diary: My Experiences on Guadalcanal -

Thoughts and prayers for the Garrett family!

2 comments:

Jim said...

Thanks to Mojo-Gear for posting this. The Marine Corps Honor Guard presentation of the flag and the 21-gun salute at the memorial service held in Milligan, FL was very moving. Please visit our Marine Diary site at the above address and leave a comment. Pop enjoyed hearing from readers.

bellesouth said...

Thank your for posting this about my father. He was not only an American hero, he was our hero. Please visit his profile on Facebook and like it. It will keep his memory alive.

Post a Comment